PAPER SAMPLE BOOK
- This rare limited
edition Artisan Book was produced in 1931
- with art work
on various papers
- hand made in the
Whatman Springfield Mill
- A page with illuminated print -hand
painted colours with real English gold
- The book is made with all hand
made paper samples of various hand made paper,
- of a generous 7 inch by 11 inch
size. This gives a great feeling for these masterfully hand made
papers that Whatman was known for. Some are thick whilst others
are as thin as tissue.
- 16 pages(8 leafs) which are blank
except for label of paper texture and weight.
- And a 26 page history of paper
making at the Springfield paper mill. A total of 42 pages (21
- The 160 year history of world
renown Whatman papers is illustrated throughout
- Five of the art works ares signed
hand tipped original Etchings
- plus Prints and a photo.
- Some pages have
partial watermarks of the era.
- This artisan sample book is a generous
a 7 by 11 inches approximately. The hard bound showing deckel
page edges here and there.
- Some pages have a watermark or partial
watermark of the era.
- In condition shown: the boards of
this hard bound book are covered in heavy hand made paper
- and as such it has some stains ,
dents and scuffs as to be expected with age of such an artisan
- The pages inside are very clean only
some light toning here and there.
- ( note photography and computer screens
do not give justice the actual artisan quality of this book)
- Pages - some of which have deckel
edges are a bit out of registration - to be expected for a hand
made book of this age.
- Very nice condition considering
its 82 years of age .
- This delightful
artisan sample book is a rare chance to see these historic papers
in one place, from their glory days, before this most historic
paper mil was closed.
- SEE MORE PHOTOS BELOW:
- cover above showing some wear
and closeup of ream stamp on cover